Saturday, March 12, 2005

Nashville

I finally have a minute between Zzzzz's to catch up on what's been up. And I guess I should begin with my evening in Nashville, pre-birthday!

Jim was gracious enough to let me borrow his functional digital camera for my excursion, but I only snapped a couple pictures ... on my way to the city. Oops.

So, here you have Monteagle, TN. Probably not the safest thing to do, but I decided to snap a shot of the winding road through the mountain while I was driving. It's much prettier in the spring and summer when there's actually color in the picture.

Anyhow, I got to Nashville early to avoid rush hour. Mike gets off at 6 p.m. I got there at 5:15 p.m. Sooo, I waited.

The Elvis Costello show was scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m., and we'd heard his shows are always right on time. So, Mike ordered dinner from a delivery place, and we ate at his apartment to save time. Smart guy, that Mike. Oh, and the dinner was delicious - steak, baked potato and steamed veggies. Not bad for take-out!

We got to the Ryman, and soon after Tift Merritt took the stage. What a great artist! She only played about six or seven songs, and I wished there was time for more. Mike was dead-on in comparing her style of music to Sheryl Crow (only Tift sang as opposed to the yelling I was subjected to at a Sheryl Crow concert several years back.

Next up was Elvis Costello. I have to admit, I hadn't listened to much Elvis prior to knowing I had a ticket to this show. I'd heard him here and there and had always liked his sound, but didn't own any of his records personally. But, before the show I'd listened to several of his albums a lot just so I wouldn't be lost - you know the feeling ...
* The music starts ... The audience screams in recognition of an obvious hit song... Then everyone sings along, prompted by the artist ... you're left in the lurch because you've never heard the song in your life ... And thus feel like you're sticking out like a sore thumb *


At any rate, I recognized a good bit of his songs, and he was incredible - even with a raspy voice thanks to a sore throat. Decked out in an all black suite and a bright purple tie, he was stylin'. But that's nothing compared to his boots - I swear to you, they were chrome-silver, shiney-as-all-get-out boots. Sweet!

Halfway through his set, another microphone was brought out on stage. Mike turned to me and said he thought Emmy Lou Harris could be coming out because the two had collaberated on his last album. Good call - soon thereafter, Emmy Lou herself was singing alongside Elvis. They did several songs - none of which I'd heard before, but they were beautiful. Espcially the first one they sang - about missing someone. I really wish I knew what it was called.

The show ended with Elvis and Emmy Lou singing two last songs together. It was awesome, and I'd go to another Elvis show in a heartbeat.

Oh, and here's a picture of downtown Nashville I took, again while driving ... I wouldn't try this again.