Monday, April 04, 2005

Burgers and Band-Aids


I don't know what it was about today, but both Jim and I managed to split open our fingers with kitchen knives.

The first incident occurred while I was on the phone with Jim planning what we were going to do for dinner (burgers won out). I was washing some pretty sharp knives out of the butcher block when sllliiiiice! My index finger was really cut. I've never had stiches, so I didn't know what to do. But once I got the bleeding to stop, I opted to slap a Band-Aid on the cut and let it be, even though it looked and felt terrible. (Have I mentioned I hate hospitals, needles and everything else that goes along with any kind of medical procedure? That's how I've avoided stiches all these 28 years!)

So, Jim comes over a few hours later and we grill out. Yum! Summer is on the way, and we got a taste of it tonight - grilled hamburgers, corn on the cob and potatoes. There's not much better than that!

After dinner, Jim was taking care of dishes (what a guy!) when he asks if the stack of knives on the countertop were dirty. For the record, I told him to leave them alone - that they were what I was attempting to clean when I sliced open my finger this afternoon.

Did he listen? No.

Did he do the same thing I did? Yes. Only worse.

So, after the bleeding finally stopped I asked to see his cut (gash). He refused to go to the emergency room, though he admits that if I had sliced open my thumb as badly as he did, my butt would be at the hospital right this very moment... Sheesh!