Tuesday, May 03, 2005

And the winner is ...

A month or so ago I decided I wanted to take a real vacation this year - even though my gut tells me I should be saving my money for a home, a new car or something along those lines.

But I need my vacations. I am in desperate need time away from my regular, not-so-interesting life. And I think I’ve finally made my decision on where I want to go this year! Surprisingly I won’t be headed to a tropical locale. I’ve decided I want to get back to Washington, D.C.

It’s been about six years since I last visited D.C., which is waaaay too long.

Every year, our student newspaper at Georgia Southern University would board an Amtrak train and book it to our nation’s capital. Those were fun times, as I’m sure Kelley and all the other wonderful friends I made during my stint as managing editor of The George-Anne would tell you. We met so many interesting people from all over the U.S. at the college media conference. We partied a lot, too. It was a time of hotel bathtubs filled with beer and ice, lots of people getting sick and long-distance crushes that eventually faded as e-mails dwindled in the weeks following the conference.

For that one week every summer, it was a fun time to take in new ideas in journalism and see what other college papers were doing, but what I really took away from those trips was a greater appreciation for our country, its founders, veterans and everything else you could learn from the various museums, monuments and historical sites we had the opportunity to visit.

A lot of changes have taken place since I was there last. I haven’t visited the WWII memorial, and there are still several spots I want to take in that I didn’t get the chance to see over those summers.

So, that’s the plan this year. I don’t know when I’ll go, but it’ll happen. I wish I could bring Kelley, Sarah, Allison, David, LaVene, Nick, Chris and of course Mr. Bill and Bohler along for old time’s sake. But it looks like it’s only me so far.

Anyone up for a trip?