Saturday, May 21, 2005

The song that takes you back

Driving in to work this afternoon listening to the radio, I caught "Lyla" - the latest tune by Oasis.

The song reminded me of a time back in the mid-90s when I loved Oasis. I remember driving down to Statesboro for the first time to visit my then-boyfriend, Mark, who went to Georgia Southern University.

It was me, Julie and Lori driving as fast as we could down I-16 with the the CD player blaring Oasis the entire 4 hours it took us to arrive in Statesboro. Our favorite songs, "Don't go away" and "Champagne Supernova" were probably played 25 times on that trip as we belted out the lyrics right along with Noel and Liam.

That trip was memorable mainly because it was the first time I'd really been away from home out on my own without any form of supervision. We were free to do whatever we wanted and we just knew we were too cool.

The weekend was spent at the beach on Tybee Island, exploring Savannah, at my first club where Drivin' n Cryin ' was playing, and with me deciding that Georgia Southern was where I wanted to be for the remainder of my college days.

About six months later I was packing my things to head down South, where I would eventually lose who I thought was the "love of my life," hit bottom, pick myself up off my butt, make some of the best friends in the world, party h-a-r-d, learn about the glories of college football, experience some crazy roommates, meet a few amazing professors and in the midst of studying journalism, I really got to know myself.

Every time I hear Oasis, that's what pops into my head. I don't know what ever happened to Lori - but last I heard she'd gotten married to the guy who always wore overalls she had a huge crush on. And Julie is in Alaska with her husband and three children.

Sometimes I wonder if they can't help but think of our trip when catching an Oasis song. Or maybe it's just my memory