Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Gettin' glammed up

mascara
Mall makeup counters frighten me. Women in white lab jackets or black drapey smocks who wear lots of eye shadow make me want to run and hide. And the men who work those counters intimidate the hell out of me.

I've been a loyal Clinique and Estee Launder customer before - in college when I had money to blow (go figure), and I'd like to think I knew what I was doing when I applied my $15 mascara. Chances are I was just as clueless as I am now.

But with my friend's wedding a month away, I'm beginning to think I might need to at least make an attempt at learning the ins and outs of makeup application. I mean, my God, I've been in a makeup rut since high school - never changing my look - ever. I don't have a seperate "day" face from my "night" face. I just have a face ... and a plain one at that!

I've read a few magazine articles here and there, but none seem to address my issues ... dark circles, small eyes, white eyelashes, etc ... So, I'm thinking I may need to pay those glamour girls (and guys) at the mall a visit.

There are so many different makeup lines these days. I have no clue which counter to walk up to. Do I find the nicest looking person there, or do I go for someone who appears as though they could sympathize with my facial issues? Or do I take a huge leap of faith and go for the guy who knows more about makeup than I'll ever care to know?

I guess my biggest fear is that I'll walk out of Parisian with a tiny bag of makeup, $200 less in my checking account, and no clue as to how to fix my face. I'm also secretly afraid they'll tell me I've got no hope and send me on my way. At least then I'd be able to keep my money.