Monday, June 06, 2005

Some thoughts on air travel

Why I don't fly
* Because I am afraid of crashing to the ground at an ungodly rate of speed.
* Because I am petrified of heights.
* Because I can be a bit of a control freak.
* Because I don't think it's natural to have something that heavy practically floating through the air.
* Because I prefer to keep my feet on the ground and my butt behind the wheel of a car.
* Because I would have to be either very drunk or high on something to get on a plane, and airlines aren't cool with that, apparently. (Yes, I watch Airline on A&E.)
* Because I have bad luck. Isn't that enough?!?

Things I am aware of
* Flying is a safer way to travel than driving.
* Flying is way faster than driving.
* Airplanes don't merely "float" through the air, and the people who build them are very smart people who know what they're doing.
* If I don't fly, the chances of me ever getting to Europe or Japan or where ever the hell else I dream about are pretty slim.
* I am a wussy who needs to take a friggin' 100 step program to relieve my fear of flying.