Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Getting a case of the 'Willies'

When I was a little girl, Ioved "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" - My love of the movie actually could be classified as a case of borderline obsession. I knew every word and song and whole-heartedly craved a trip to such a wacked-out chocolate factory where snotty children are declared "bad eggs" and chocolate rivers flowed freely. I thought Gene Wilder rocked - and man, did I ever wish I could find a golden ticket that would land me on the factory's doorsteps.

So, you can imagine my delight to hear that there would be another movie about the wonderful world of Wonka. And after my hectic weekend, a trip to the movies was the perfect way to relax. So, Jim and I headed out to see "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" on Monday night.

First let me say that the movie was clever, witty and vaguely disturbing - much like the first go 'round. I enjoyed the additions that gave moviegoers a little insight into Willy Wonka ... the boy, the man, the legend. However, as much as I love Johnny Depp (and I do mean "love"), he was a bit too creepy to me. I couldn't get the notion out of my head that he was another version of Michael Jackson - and instead of living at Neverland Ranch, he was the owner of a crazy candy factory.

Depp's acting was great, as always, but I guess being a fan of Gene Wilder's depiction of Wonka, it was too drastic a change for me. But, I would see it again - and likely will when it comes out on DVD. There were several hysterical scenes, and the oompa-loompas were quite entertaining (though I do think Tim Burton skimped a bit on this part).

But you have to see the movie - especially if you grew up singing, "Oompa, Loompa, doom-pa-dee-do ... "