Friday, July 22, 2005

I've got the bug

Well-maintained and updated home. 3 BR, 2BA with additional loft area. New paint inside and out. Call Leslie at Coldwell Banker.

The picture of this house is perfect ... brick on the bottom, light yellow paint up top, black shudders and a red door. There's a porch and a chimney and the lawn is gorgeous. And for $149,000, it can be mine.

Well, it's finally happened. After nearly 10 years of apartment life, I've caught the home-buying bug. It may have something to do with a friend just moving into her first "real" home, which is downright beautiful. But mostly I feel it's time.

My neighbors aren't doing much to make me reconsider dropping my savings on closing costs, either. Somehow, my apartment community has taken a turn for the worse, and it's creeping me out.

I've got redneck neighbors on one side of my building who insist on whooping and hollaring at all hours of the night (they really get fired up sometime around 3 a.m.). Then there's my ghetto-fab neighbor across the hall who won't even say hello back when I smile and try to be friendly. He just stares at me like I've just insulted his ego. Very odd.

Car alarms go off every few hours ... well, I should say one particular car alarm goes off every few hours. The owner of said car lets the alarm go forever - over an hour one time (and that was around 2 a.m.). Then, one night last week, four police cars were parked outside the other entrance to my building. FOUR police cars ... what could they possibly be doing? I don't know that I really want to know.

So, there you have it. This is why I'm seriously considering jumping into the homebuyer's pool. I've got a while yet on my current lease (next May, oh joy ... ), but maybe this will give me enough time to do my research and get my act together so I'll be ready to sink some money into a home that's truly mine.

I'm just afraid of making the wrong decision and getting stuck with a house that sends me to the poorhouse. I can just imagine moving in and bam!, the air conditioning goes out. Or the roof starts to leak or any series of problems that I didn't pick up on at first.

But I guess that's a risk I'll have to take when the time comes. I'm just ready to leave apartment life behind.