Thursday, July 14, 2005

Redemption, at last!

One evening when I was about 6 years old my mother did something unthinkable. That night, I sat at home in my bedroom listening to my cassette tapes over and over - and when I heard my favorite Neil Diamond song, "Sweet Caroline," I cried and cried.

My mother was gone, and all I could do was think of all the spectacular things I was missing out on. All the excitement my mother had left me for.

Between my sobs I sang to my stuffed animals. I held a wooden spoon in my hand as a microphone and gave an improptu performance to my dolls. If she was gone, that's the only thing I could do. It was only fitting.

My mother had left me with my father (who was snoring in his recliner in the living room) to go the Neil Diamond concert without me, and I was FULLY crushed. It was a tragedy, indeed.

I loved Neil Diamond, and she knew it. She was well-aware that I knew every last word to every last song that I'd heard of his. She knew I danced around the living room when his songs came on the radio. And she knew I was equally as thrilled when, for Christmas one year, she'd received his "Love at the Greek" concert VHS.

But she wouldn't let me go to the concert, and it just didn't make sense to me.

Apparently the show was more than I could have dreamed of. The next morning, as she told all about the glitzy shirts he wore and all the encores he performed, my heart sank.

So there you have it ... I've been scarred since that day.

But wait! Wipe the tears from your eyes! ... Why, you ask?!?

I'M GOING TO A NEIL DIAMOND CONCERT!

And it's all I can do to contain myself. It's not until October, but that gives me enough time to brush up on my Neil Diamond collection.

I know each of you is jealous, but don't sit at home like I had to 20-some years ago. There are so many tour dates this year! Shell out the $75 and pay Neil a visit.

I'm sure it'll be a 'beautiful noise'.