Monday, July 04, 2005

Toothpicks and breakdowns


Question: What does it take to make me a little crazy late at night while trying to assemble something like 5,000 finger sandwiches for a bridal shower?

Answer: Realizing I should use those cute little party toothpicks with the frilly things on top to hold the sandwiches together.

Why would this drive me to the brink of insanity, you ask?

Well ... the answer to that question would be because no store in Chattanooga carries them, and for whatever reason, I had my heart set on the stupid things. I didn't know why, but I just HAD to have them.

So, I dragged Jim to Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Wallgreens, Eckerd and finally decided to throw my arms in the air and venture into hell (i.e. Wal-Mart) - because surely they'd have frilly toothpicks that would complete my finger sandwich masterpiece.

No such luck.

By the time the frilly toothpick fiasco was over, I had to settle on multicolored picks and was not at all happy.

Normally I'm a fairly rational person, but something about those damn toothpicks sent me into meltdown mode, and I lost all sensibilities.

But seriously - how can stores not carry these things?!?