Thursday, July 14, 2005

Yee haw, I've been tagged

Windingo over at Sakrata.com has tagged me to do a memory meme. So, considering my brain is pretty much mush, I figured I'd go for it.

Here goes nothing ...

What I was doing 10 years ago:
Having just graduated from high school in June 1995, I was anxiously awaiting my first year at Berry College. A mixture of excitment and dread filled my soul as I prepared for my first semester of college. Unlike many students, I opted to stay at home instead of living the dorm life ... it's a decision that I soundly laud now, considering the depth of my student loan debt without having paid the extra thousands each year to share a crackerjack box with a stranger. Besides preparing for school, I was working at Chick-fil-A and Today's Gourmet (a coffee/gourmet cooking store), where I was making pretty good money for an 18-year-old, oddly enough. I'd been at Chick-fil-A since I was 15, and would remain there until I moved to South Georgia to go to Georgia Southern University two years later. To this day, if you ask me what my favorite job has been, I would still say Chcik-fil-A. We "Christians" had one helluva time.

5 years ago:
Hmmm ... Five years ago I'd just walked across the stage to receive my fake diploma from Georgia Southern University. No, I hadn't pulled off some elaborate graduation scheme ... The school doesn't hold graduation during the summer semester, which technically is when I fulfilled my graduation requirements, and since it was pretty much a given that I would pass all my courses during summer semester, I walked a couple months early. Woo ... go, me. Besides cramming every night for that damned Mass Media Law and Ethics class (which I know for a fact that I had the highest grade in and still made a flippen' B), I was trying to ease the transition at GSU's student newspaper where I'd been managing editor for two years with my roommate and good friend, Kelley, who was editor-in-chief. Socially, I was having a blast. Great friends, lots of parties, killer margaritas at El Sombrero and trips to Savannah filled my non-studying hours. Good times, awesome friends and lots of memories. Oh, I also worked at a local marketing company, too. In short, I was busy, but happy.

1 year ago:
Last year at this time, I was doing pretty much the same thing I'm doing right now. Working at the paper, lacking that killer social life I once had, wondering if I'll ever have enough money to shop when and where I want, and trying to find interesting things to do and see whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Yesterday:
One word sums yesterday up: HECTIC. I woke up at 9:30 a.m. (a mild victory in my war against laziness), and hit the ground running. So much to do before my friend's wedding, and so very little time to do it. I spent about 3 hours at the mall searching for accessories and make-up, spent way too much money at the Clinique counter (surprise, surprise) and hit Target later for my basic needs (i.e. toilet paper, laundry soap and kitty litter). After running myself ragged, I went to work and busted out a good-looking front page for our faithful readers. Again I say: Go, me!

5 snacks I enjoy:
Pop tarts (chocolate with vanilla filling), creamsicles, bananas, choc. chip cookies with milk, and mozzarella sticks.

5 songs I know all the words to:
Oh goodness ... there are too many to list ... but anything by Bon-Jovi, Jennifer Nettles (now with Sugarland), Sublime, Keane ... etc.

5 things I would do with $100 million:
1. Pay off my bills 2. Buy a dream home in the Carribean 3. Invest in the stock market/CDs/Money Markets 4. Start my own business 5. Travel, travel, travel, travel ... (Basically the same as Windingo, only with a few modifications.)

5 locations I would like to run away to:
1. The Cayman Islands 2. Jamaica 3. Virgin Islands 4. Florida Keys 5. Just about anywhere in Europe

5 bad habits I have:
1. Being a pessimist 2. Hating exercise 3. Zoning when I should be paying attention 4. Jumping to conclusions 5. Rushing through things

5 things I like doing:
1. Shopping 2. Vacationing 3. Reading 4. Blogging 5. Going to concerts

5 things I would never wear:
1. A belly shirt 2. Those new long shorts that are supposed to be suitable for the office ... um - no way. 3. Those Paris Hilton skirts she always seems to have on 4. A skirt with pants - what's up with that?!? 5. Knee highs

5 TV shows I like:
1. The Real World (I know, I know ... ) 2. Anything newsy 3. Saturday Night Live 4. The Daily Show 5. Sex and the City

5 biggest joys of the moment:
1. Friends 2. Friend getting married 3. Upcoming trip to Virginia 4. My new hairdo 5. A little extra money to work with

5 favorite toys:
1. Jim's digital camera 2. The SIMS on Xbox (yes, I'm a dork, but I rarely play it) .... I can't think of anything else. I'm not really a gadget person.

As per the rules, I'm supposed to tag 5 other people to complete a similar survey on their blogs, but I'll let that be optional madness. If you have the spare time and find this mildly entertaining, go for it.

Have a happy weekend!