Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Peter Jennings

I've waited a bit late to post this, but I'm still very saddened by the death of Peter Jennings.

When we received the alert on the wire late Sunday night that he had died, I could tell by the expression on the faces of everyone in the newsroom that this was heartbreaking news to all. I grew up watching Peter Jennings anchor "World News Tonight," as did several of my co-workers. I'm sure others remember him from longer ago when he was a reporter across the globe.

If nothing else proved his sheer dedication to journalism, the way he covered the terror attacks of Sept. 11 did. We all watched him hour after hour grow more and more tired, yet he still brought his viewers the news as it came in.

I won't go on and on about what a loss his passing is to the world of journalism and his viewers, because I'm sure you have felt that to some degree yourselves. I can only hope that whoever replaces him has the same tenacity and dedication to reporting.