Saturday, August 06, 2005

Sorry, wrong number ...

I don't know if it's just my bad luck or if this is becoming the norm now that nearly everyone has a cell phone, but I constantly get phone calls from strangers.

And odd strangers, at that.

Over the last week this is what I've heard on the other end of the line after answering my cell:

* "Yeah, I need you to come get me. Like now ..." (Voice of a teen girl, obviously thinking she was speaking to her chauffeur - a.k.a. her mother)

* "Rawd-nay thar?" (Translation: May I please speak with Rodney? ... Or at least I think that's what he was asking.)

* "Yo giiiiirl!!! How's it?!?" (How is it? Well, to be honest it's not well considering you morons keep calling me.)

* "Kaleigh?" (Dad looking for his daughter ... Again.)

My favorite is the last one on my list ... that poor dad calls me at least once every week asking for Kaleigh. I can't gauge how old this girl should be, but I know she's old enough to drive because he once asked me to pull over before he would talk to me. I thought the demand was both sweet and hilarious at the same time.

Every time he calls, I feel like apologizing to him for my number being a misdial. Usually, if he doesn't come right out and say his daughter's name, he'll begin the call with something like, "We're having fried chicken for dinner tonight, will you be able to make it? To which I would love to reply, "Definitely! What time should I come? ... Oh, and could I get directions?"

But unfortunately I'm forced to say, "Oh, I'm sorry. I think you've dialed the wrong number." And to that, he always - without fail - replies, "Oh goodness, I am sorry. I thought you were my daughter. You have a nice day, alright?"

If only everyone could be that polite after dialing the wrong number ...