Tuesday, August 30, 2005

When it rains, it pours


Sleep would have been nice last night. But thanks to Katrina, which dumped massive amounts of rain on my fine city and twirled trees around with little effort - a bit of rest escaped me.

My cat is a well-known fraidy cat. Frankly, I think the term was coined based on her reaction to any amount of rain or even the slightest of storms. This means that if you can hear rain falling, Anna's under the bed, hugging the floor or pestering me to hold her.

Last night was no different ... Until about 5:30 a.m., I had a frantic cat on my hands who refused to let me sleep. First she needed to be held. Then she just HAD to get under the covers. Then she settled on standing over me, meowing frantically while I tried to catch some Zzzzz's.

This time I understood her concern. I mean, it was really raining hard and the tree branches next to my apartment kept scraping the windows - creating a disturbing horror-flick screeching sound. There was a tornado watch - which always makes me a bit nervous (I'm no fan of the things). But, there comes a point where you just have to go to sleep.

Unfortunately I wasn't allowed. So today I get to go to work with dark circles and tired bones, while I'm sure Anna will be cat napping all day.

But, it could be much worse. Thank God my family no longer lives along the Gulf Coast. I feel for those poor people who've lost everything. Let's hope FEMA can get in there soon and provide some relief.