Thursday, September 15, 2005

Paging Mr. Sandman

Q. How many times does a girl have to flop around in bed before she can finally get some sleep?
A. At least 246 times if that girl would be me.
Sleep once came easy to me. I remember settling in for a good night's rest surrounded by pillows and layer upon layer of blankets to bundle up with. My tired body effortlessly relaxed, and comfort would take over. My eyes crept shut as I went over the next day's plans. Within 5 minutes I was off to sleepland. All was right in my little world.

I think about those days a lot as I'm tossing and turning late at night. It's been about 3 years since I've had a good night's rest consistantly, and I can't figure it out. It's not like I'm wide awake when I go to bed. Usually, I'm super tired.

Sometimes just getting to sleep is half the battle. It can take me a few hours of flip-flopping before I'll finally nod off. Two hours of sleep later, and wham! I'm wide awake again.

I'm so tired of being a zombie in the morning - or sleeping so late that I don't get anything accomplished before I go to work in the afternoon. It just seems impossible for someone to be so tired during the day, but unable to sleep at night. Something really should be done, but I have no idea where to start.