Sunday, October 30, 2005

Ahh ... home

There's just something creepy about a hotel bed. Maybe I've watched too many special reports about all the disgusting things hotel bedding is subjected to, but I don't think I'm alone in getting the willies every time I crawl into a bed that's rented out on a nightly basis. Eeek.

I had to stay in a hotel this weekend while in Indiana, and that bed was so uncomfortable. Not that I could have slept peacefully anyhow, but still, it was wonderful to come home to my comfy bed last night ... I was in desperate need of a little relaxation.

I rarely make the time to visit Indiana, simply because my family lives in a tiny, tiny town with little to nothing to do. I lived there for two years while I was in elementary school, but beyond that short time, I really never got to know my family. My father was in the Air Force, so we were constantly moving from town to town - and because of that, family, unfortunately, was put on the back burner.

So, this weekend was both tearful and in a small way, a bit happy. I got the chance to get to know my family a little more. I met cousins I'd only seen photos of and had several wonderful conversations with my aunts and uncles. Plans have been made for visits over the summer, and I must say I'm really looking forward to having family dropping in whenever they pass through Chattanooga.

We all came together to remember and honor my grandfather who we all loved dearly. But we also were reminded that we're truly family - and there's nothing in this world that's more important.