Friday, October 14, 2005

None of your bees wax

I washed and waxed my car yesterday, which is a minor miracle.

But, after a long two months without being washed and sitting under sappy trees, my car was practically crying out for a good bath. You could write your name in the dirt and grime, and I was really starting to become embarassed of my laziness.

Most people would simply run their car through an automatic wash, but my lovely Jetta has issues with car washes, so that's not an option - unless I want my alarm to go off repeatedly throughout the day and into the night for no reason whatsoever.

So yesterday I loaded up all the necessary washing items: soap, rags, paper towels, bug & tar remover, Armor All, Windex and a new car wax I picked up at Target that smelled absolutely delish.

After washing my car twice (yes, it was that dirty, thankyouverymuch), I pulled my car into the shade, popped open the new wax and was ready to get started on one of my least favorite things to do in this world.

Not one minute into swirling the banana/coconutty scented wax on my car I noticed several bumble bees flying in my direction. Oh joy, bees ... I am petrified of anything that stings - bees, wasps, hornets, etc. But I figured they'd simply pass by and that would be that.

Boy, was I wrong.

Within three minutes I had 10-15 bumble bees dive-bombing my car. Apparently I wasn't the only one who was drawn to the wax's pleasant smell.

But I was determined to get the job done despite the possibility of getting stung. (One bee actually made its way up the leg of my shorts, and let me just tell you - a major freak-out ensued.)

I'm sure I looked like a true moron dancing around my car trying my best to apply the wax without interferring with the bees' draw to my car. A few neighbors got a chuckle out of my car-waxing antics, but I got the job done.

Next time, however, you can better believe I'll be buying the waxy-smelling car wax. Ick.