Thursday, October 27, 2005

Song, sung blue

This picture illustrates the story of my yesterday perfectly. It was a very rough day, to say the least. And that's a much-needed mocha frappuccino with a double shot of espresso ... I pretty much ditched the diet with that drink.

I found out my grandfather passed away just as we were leaving to go to the Neil Diamond concert. We went anyway, but my mind was in Indiana with the rest of my family. And my heart was absolutley broken.

Grandpa was the man who called me his little shadow. I lived with him and my grandmother for a short time in elementary school and would follow him everywhere. I absolutely adored my grandfather. He smoked a pipe with apple-cinnamon tobacco, and to this day when I pass the tobacco aisle at the drugstore I always hope for that particular smell to peek out.

He had the funniest personality (he was a true goofball) and was a wonderful grandpa and father to my mother. And, although I knew he was ill for quite some time, I'm still very, very sad he's no longer here.

I'll be in Indiana this weekend. But, I promise my next post will be much less depressing.