Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Spastic cat strikes again

My poor cat has a distinct attitude problem. Her spazz attacks are as unpredictable as they are brutal, and right now I've got the scratches and teeth marks to prove it.

I think her "issues" lately directly correspond to her dry skin problem. She wallows around on the floor trying to scratch those impossible to reach spots in the middle of her back and at the base of her tail. This goes on for 10-15 minutes at a time until I notice and reach for the brush.

That's what generally gets me in trouble ... never mind the fact that I'm just trying to help.

So today, after watching her romp around on her back, I grabbed the cat brush, plopped her on the sofa and began brushing through her think fur. The funny thing is that she loves it at first. She goes crazy - purring and kneeding her paws. But the problem lies in not knowing when she's going to decide she's had enough of the brushing. It could be 2 minutes or 30 minutes ... there's no telling until it's happened.

And happen, it did today. Now my right hand looks as though I've attempted to run it through a paper shredder, which is lovely.

My question is this: What does a girl do about cat dandruff? I've read that brushing is the main way to alleviate the problem, but it's getting to the point that I don't want to risk my hands getting bitten and scratched off every time I go to help. I wish they made Head & Shoulders for cats. My life would be so much easier.

Any suggestions?