Sunday, January 15, 2006

Put your camera away

I truly feel bad for stars who are constantly hounded by the paparazzi. I really do. Granted, they are famous, and with that one should expect a certain level of privacy to be diminished. But still... I can't imagine being followed by cameramen on a daily basis.

But I can relate to having pictures taken of you when you're merely getting into your car to drive to the local coffee shop. In a very odd experience yesterday afternoon, I caught out of the corner of my eye a man in his 20s raising his camera as a friend and I were stepping into my car. I thought to myself how odd that appeared, but brushed him off as a tourist taking photos of downtown Chattanooga.

Then I looked in my rear-view mirror and noticed that he was not, in fact, snapping pictures of the scenery. He had his viewfinder trained directly on the back of my car. I sped off - a little creeped out - but ready to grab a something warm to drink after being so cold, I could only think about the hot vanilla latte I was about to imbibe.

It wasn't until later in the evening that the strange camera guy popped back into my mind, and I really started to wonder why in the world he was taking pictures of my car as I drove away.

Pretty odd, isn't it? Or am I creeped out for nothing?