Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Too cool

There are very few stars who keep my interest. Really only two ... Jennifer Nettles and Jon Bon Jovi.

Jon Bon Jovi has been a bit of an obsession since I was 10 or 11. And I still think he's a hottie, thankyouverymuch!

But it wasn't until I was in college in South Georgia that I was introduced - quite by accident - to Jennifer's unique sound when she was in the Atlanta-based band, Soul Miner's Daughter.

I was standing outside one afternoon awaiting word on whether I'd been named managing editor of our campus newspaper (I got the job, by the way), when I heard an amazing band playing yards away under the rotunda. I ran down the steps of the student center and found myself in awe of the incredibly powerful voice coming from the girl wearing a wife beater and baggy pants in front of me. Combined with her energy, she packed a powerful punch, and I was hooked.

Now, 7 years later she's no longer with Soul Miner's Daughter - or the Jennifer Nettles Band, which she formed a few years back. Breaking away from the free-spirited funky rock she once performed, Jennifer is now lead singer in the country band Sugarland.

I'm no country fan, but I'm hooked once again. And tonight I came across this photo on The Associated Press web site - Jen is at the Grammys.

I am so impressed, excited and hopeful that Sugarland will not only give a killer performance, but that they'll take home a Grammy for Best New Artist.

I've seen Jennifer perform dozens of times and had the opportunity to attend a CD release party of hers in Atlanta a couple years ago. More than anything, what struck me was how sincere, very outgoing and kind she was. If anyone deserves a statue, it's this girl.