Friday, March 03, 2006

The weekend that was

I had written a super long post about this past weekend in Virginia, but technology struck again and my computer crashed out. Because I'm somewhat lazy (hey - it's Friday!) and don't want to get back into the details, I'll stick to a brief synopsis of the weekend.

Here goes:

Friday - Jon and I arrive in Lynchburg. Nervously anticipating our visit, my mother had had several (read: many) glasses of wine. She was quite tipsy, and thus, made some interesting comments throughout the evening. I wanted to die.

Saturday -
I awoke with a nervous feeling in my stomach because this was the day I was to meet my mother's new boyfriend. She was right when she described him as a "geek" - but he was a nice geek. They are definitely an interesting pair, but seem to be perfect for each other. Anyhow, we headed to Bedford, Va., to the National D-Day Memorial, where it was cold and very windy, but still nice. This picture is of a statue called the Le Monument aux Morts. During the Normandy invasion, shrapnel struck the head of the sculpture and blew off her face, leaving a rather sinister looking monument, but very representative of war.

Sunday - After Jon and I decided Saturday evening that we would leave a day early, we headed to Asheville, N.C. Along the way we stopped in Greensboro, N.C., where we found their mall - which is three floors! I was in heaven! Once we got to Asheville, we drove around a bit, had dinner and then crashed.

Monday - We checked out of our hotel and headed downtown. I love Asheville for a number of reasons, and its downtown area is high up on my list. There are so many eclectic shops, restaurants - and the people are so incredibly friendly. I would move there in a heartbeat if I could.
We spent the better part of the day milling about and taking in the town. But eventually, we had to leave. On our way home, we stopped in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., at one of the gigantic outlet malls there. It was great - Banana Republic, Le Gourmet Chef, Old Navy, etc... But just as we rounded yet another corner filled with more and more stores, we noticed lights going out. We looked at the time, but it was only 6 p.m. - on a Monday - and the stores were CLOSING! Can you believe it?? So, we left.

And that's my super-short version of my trip.

Happy Friday!