Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Long weekends rock

Typically, I don't get holidays off.

Saturdays and Sundays are usually spent at work, too.

But every so often, I can take a four-day weekend - and when that happens, they are absolutely glorious.

I've just returned from four days in Atlanta that were slam-packed. And although I was going, going, going, I feel completely refreshed.

Here's a brief overview of the four days that kept my sanity (somewhat) intact:

* Thrashers hockey game - Where I witnessed THREE fights break out during that one game. I'm a lover and not a fighter, but there's just something exciting about a bunch of hockey players throwing punches.
* An amazing homecooked meal at Chad's mother's house. Oh, and good wine, too! Mmm ...
* Holiday sugar cookies. We had every shape imaginable ... angels, doves, Christmas trees, bells, gingerbread men, toy soldiers, snow flakes, etc. Icing and colored sugar made them even prettier, and man did they taste de-lish!
* A two-hour shopping excursion at IKEA with Allison, where I got the deal of all deals ... a duvet cover on sale for $4.99. I love it!
* More shopping with Allison at the Gap, where I plopped down $60 for a sweater - not for a Christmas gift - but for myself. It felt good to spend money on something nice without being influenced by what was on sale. Full-price can be a good self-esteem boost sometimes.
* The best Mexican food under the sun at El Jinete in Woodstock. If you're ever there, you must order the chicken fajita quesadilla. Words can't describe the wonders of this meal. I won't even try.
* Bruise-inducing bowling. ... Yep, I'm a clutz and managed to bonk my leg with a bowling ball, leaving a nice purple knot on my right leg. It's ugly.

But, despite the purple glow of my leg, now that I'm back in Chattanooga I've got a new happy attitude. Life is good, isn't it?

I think so.