Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Wrapping it up

Yesterday was my day off, and I'd looked forward picking up one last gift, buying more ribbon, wrapping presents, making a couple ornaments, cooking a healhy dinner and enjoying a quiet evening at home.

It's funny how you can have a to-do list in your head, and it seems so small. But when you actually start working to check things off that list, it takes all of an eternity, and you're left with no time to enjoy that healthy dinner and quiet evening at home.

Yesterday I decided that going to the mall is a horrible idea from here until the holidays are over. I wanted to run in, pick up a one of those effortless wine bottle openers and leave. Ha! Yeah right ... how naive could I get?!?

Everywhere I looked, it was out of stock. Except Brookstone, of course, but $100 for a contraption to open wine bottles seems a bit excessive for my budget.

So I opted to look for something else.

And that's where my day went. It got sucked up in the endless abyss of sales racks, grouchy shoppers, frustrated store clerks and horrid traffic. Three hours went by in a matter of 30 minutes, and I still had a hundred other things to accomplish.

All day long, the time kept flying by and, yes, I checked off everything on that list ... except the two things I was looking forward to most - the dinner and quiet evening.

For dinner I had a couple of frozen biscuits I pulled out of the freezer. Mmm ... convenient.

And that quiet evening was spent wrapping every last present I'd purchased this month. I think I'm the world's slowest wrapper, because this effort took hours ... HOURS!

And that was my day off. I got things accomplished, but I feel like I should have been paid overtime for my work!

xxx

I'm taking a short break from the vacation summary. I'll post more pictures from the trip when I get the photo CD back ... somehow I managed to leave it in Atlanta last weekend ...