Monday, January 22, 2007

My freezer is melting ... literally

Have you ever seen anything like this before? The bottom of my freezer has melted ... and this is the second time since Friday this has happened.

When I got back from Atlanta on Friday morning I smelled a burning odor coming from my kitchen. When I walked closer to my refrigerator and opened the freezer door, the smell hit me in the face. The bottom part of my freezer had completely melted away and I ran to the phone and dialed my landlord to get someone over ASAP. I was petrified my freezer would catch fire.

Anyhow, so the maintenance man was here in a matter of 10 minutes and said I'd overloaded my freezer, which made the bottom cave enough to touch the compressor or whatever the motor thing is that turns the defroster on and off. I had a very hard time believing that I'd overloaded my freezer, considering there were only about 6 or 7 Lean Cuisines, a couple packs of chicken, some frozen strawberries and a bag of ice inside. It may sound like a lot, but it really wasn't, I swear.

So, he took everything out, unscrewed what was remaining of my freezer floor and replaced it with a new one. After he left, I dumped the ice and re-arranged everthing else so that the food was not touching the area that had been melted. I thought all had been resolved.

I was wrong.

This is what the inside of my freezer looks like now ... it's not at all overloaded, and as you can see from the first photo, it's taken to melting again.

I don't know what to do. I suppose I'll call my landlord in the morning, but I honestly think they'll be pissed that it's happened again. Surely not ... I've been here four years and this is only now happening. It's got to be something wrong with the freezer, right?

Have any of you had this problem before?