Thursday, February 15, 2007

MIKA in the ATL


Crammed into a space no larger than my father's living room, about 100 lucky people got the chance to see MIKA last night in Atlanta. I still can't believe I was one of them!!

Although I've only known of MIKA for a couple months, I was hooked from the first time I heard "Grace Kelly" on the radio. His music has been compared to Freddie Mercury and the Scissor Sisters, and I can see the similarities - but he's definitely got his own sound, too. Holding the No. 1 spot on the UK charts for the past 3 weeks, this guy is going places, and I feel so lucky to have had the chance to see him in such a small setting before he makes it big in the states.

After a brief introduction (interrupted for a few minutes by an amazingly loud fire alarm), MIKA jumped over the crowd sitting on the floor and took a seat at his keyboard. He opened with "My Interpretation," a slower song. Next up was "Love Today" - one of my favorites on the album, and then of course "Grace Kelly."

Three songs was it, but that's better than none at all. His voice is incredible - his range is fantastic and the energy he radiated was unforgettable.

After his performance, I joined every one else in line to meet him. When I told him that a co-worker of mine had agreed to work for me so I could see his performance, he said he'd be happy to autograph something for her, too. He thanked me for coming and was so incredibly gracious. I guess I'd figured he would be a little cocky - but he was the furthest thing from it. It was almost like he was surprised that we all were there to see him.

The whole thing was such a great experience - definitely a Valentine's Day I'll never forget! Actually, I think I've still got a huge smile on my face!