Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day 2007: A doozy

Have you ever had one of those days that just zonks you out and leaves you wondering how in the world all that stuff could happen to one person in less than 24 hours? ... Yeah - me, too ... it was my day today!

It all started this morning when I slept through my alarm, which is something that honestly I have NEVER done before. That should have clued me into the fact that the day was going to be a little interesting.

At about 10:30 a.m. I left Chattanooga for Atlanta to meet up with Allison for some shopping.

Just before I crossed over into her county, a truck two lanes over from me had a major blow-out - sending tire shards and an enormous metal wheel cover flying in my direction. I slowed down and swerved just as every other holiday traveler did, creating an amazing symmetry of out-of-control cars charging down Interstate 75. Several seconds later I had regained control of my car and managed to miss most of the flying tire pieces - and, thank God, stayed out of the path of about 6 or 7 other cars. But I was pretty shaken up and just ready to get to Allison's house in one piece, which I did. Whew!

One of my main reasons for heading down to Atlanta was to stop by Trader Joe's for some of their wonderful Two Buck Chuck ($2.50 bottles of amazingly good wine). Jim's birthday is coming up in less than a month and there's going to be a huge par-tay for which I am in charge of drinks. I planned to buy a case of reds and a case of whites. There were plenty of reds, but no Chardonnay, which means I'll have to make the trip again before June 23, which is fine, but I just wish they'd have had it all at once.

OK, so you're thinking, "So what?!?" Yes, I almost wrecked and yes, Trader Joe's didn't have my wine. I know it doesn't sound too terrible, but it gets worse.

After lunch and a little shopping, Allison and I headed back to her house. Her husband wasn't feeling too well after a long day of Memorial Day parades and Army ceremonies, so I decided to call it a night and head home a little early.

But before leaving Atlanta behind, I made the poor decision of stopping by the ex's house to talk. I'll leave it at that, but it was not good. Not good at all.

So, after leaving his house, and about 10 miles down the road, I get a call from Allison telling me that Luigi had noticed that I'd left a pretty good-sized oil spot on their driveway. ... GREAT! Luigi wanted me to come back so he could check it out, which I gladly did.

It turns out that my oil plug appears to be stripped. Which I hope to goodness my quick lube people will take care of, considering I don't go anywhere other than their shop for oil changes and I just had my oil changed last week, and they didn't mention a thing about an oil leak or stripped plug. So, that means I'll be heading over there tomorrow. FUN.

After determining it was OK for me to drive back to Chattanooga, I headed home. I was sooo ready to curl up on my sofa and watch some TV. BUT about a half-mile from my house I noticed blue lights flashing all over the place. As I approached, I saw that there were six police cars straight ahead conducting a sobriety checkpoint. Great ... here I am with a case and a half of wine in my back seat and they're conducting sobriety checks. Not that I'd even had a drop to drink, but I didn't excatly want the cops to think I'd been guzzling wine all night. I just wanted to go home.

Thankfully he didn't question my backseat booze, and I was on my way in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes. But that was just the topper of a really bizarro day!

I hope your Memorial Day holidays were a little less crazy than mine!