Sunday, May 27, 2007

Poison ivy is evil

I went hiking over a week ago now, and poison ivy is still popping up all over my body. It's not in one concentrated area - that would be too simple. No, it's here and there and progressively spreading everywhere!

The nasty stuff started showing up about 5 days after my trip to Cloudland Canyon. First it was a tiny patch on the lower part of my left leg, then some more on the same leg and then a little more a just above my knee. A couple days later it migrated to my right leg with a small patch - and now my right leg has four spots of the stuff. Then, two days ago I started itching on my chest (where I'm quite confident I didn't come into contact with any itch-inducing leaves)!!

What gives?!?

Anyhow, I visited my pharmacist yesterday. He recommended Benadryl and Benadryl itch cream. Both do the trick, but I've now realized why I never take Benadryl during hours where I am supposed to be at least somewhat alert. That stuff knocked me flat out for three hours in the middle of the afternoon yesterday! I haven't slept that hard in ages, and when I woke up, I felt as though I'd been jetted over to an alternate universe. Everything was in sloooow motion.

I can only hope this stuff goes away soon because I can't live on Benadryl forever, and I'm really growing tired of trying really hard not to think about just how bad my legs (and now my chest) are itching!