Thursday, August 23, 2007

Mr. Bourdain, I think I love you

If a man doesn't mind cooking, I'm pretty impressed.

If a man can put together a meal that could be served in a gourmet restaurant, he's won some serious points.

But if a man doesn't mind venturing into the darker corners of the world, isn't afraid to smile, enjoys a good beer (or two or three ... ), can pull off an earring without looking like a complete fool and can prepare a fabulous meal fit for someone far more important than me, well, that man would be Anthony Bourdain. And, yes, I think I'm in love.

I've been glued to his show on the Travel Channel for months now. He's journeyed everywhere from Russia and Korea to India and Ghana - each time enjoying the local flavor and taking in the region's culture and customs - all while showing a geniune interest in each country's people and history. He seems to become a part of the local flavor himself, and you can see that most people he visits just love him. I can see why.

I hope that one day I'll be in NYC and will have the opportunity to dine at Les Halles, where he is the executive chef. There's something about fine dining that I will always love, and something tells me this restaurant will be unforgetable.

But until then I'll remain glued to my TV every time his show is on - whether or not I've already seen it. You should watch, too!