Tuesday, October 09, 2007

When 350 miles may as well be a million

It's been a very rough three days for my college friends and I. They live in South Georgia, and I live in Tennessee - which isn't really that far, but when it comes to wanting to be there for them it, I feel like I'm a million miles away.

My job doesn't allow for me to pick up and go when there's a death - unless it's in my immediate family. But sometimes friends are family, and my heart is broken that I'm stuck up here when I know I should be down there.

My friends just lost their 18-month-old little girl. She was an angel who looked just like both her mother and father. The resemblance to both her parents was amazingly beautiful, and she was adored by everyone who knew her. In the handful of times I got to spend holding her and looking into those big, brown eyes I absolutely fell in love.

I can't begin to imagine what D & L are going through, but I know I just want to hug them and be there. Sadly, it will have to wait until this weekend, which I'm grateful for. But the gears will have to be shifted completely for another couple's wedding, which I am very excited about.

But I feel just terrible right now.