Friday, November 02, 2007

But I'm not supposed to get sick!

I admit it. I've been a little cocky about not catching a cold over the past few winters.

It was impossible for me to get sick because I took all the proper (neurotic) precautions. And if the world would just listen to me, we could be rid of the common cold.

When my mother was sick just before our cruise last year, I lectured, "Just take your vitamins, buy some Zicam and drink plenty of Airborne and you'll be well in no time."

When friends have had spouses who were sick, I warned, "Make sure you use Purell after touching anything and take lots of Airborne." And when they were sick a few days later, I followed up with, "Did you not take the Airborne??"

Now it's their turn to wag their fingers at me. I am sick, and it's a doozy. I don't know how this happened. I haven't been around any sick co-workers, family members or friends. I've used Purell after touching shopping carts, bathroom doors and other public germ-infested places. I've of course I've taken my vitamins!

And still I'm wide awake at 4:30 a.m. because I can't breathe lying down.

Where did I go wrong?!? I guess I'm not Super Woman after all.