Thursday, November 22, 2007

When Thanksgiving dessert goes awry

Had there been a video camera rolling in my kitchen tonight, I am convinced I would have had the $100,000 grand prize winner for "America's Funniest Home Videos." ... Well maybe not because I'm sure there were more than a few not-so-nice words uttered.

With the best of intentions, I was attempting to recreate a wonderful dessert made by a co-worker last Christmas. But, needless to say, I fell flat on my face in the execution.

Here's what happened:


First I combined all TWO ingredients ... crushed Oreo cookies and cream cheese. Then I rolled them into little balls. They don't look too appealing here, but trust me, I could have eaten them ALL. So yummy.


Next I melted milk chocolate in a double-boiler. This is where it all went wrong.


My chocolate creations got stuck in the chocolate and in an attempt to fish one out, I knocked over a plate that promptly split into several pieces. Great. ... Notice the other packages of (fake) Oreos? Yeah ... those were supposed to be used, too, but I didn't get that far.


Because THIS is what my dessert looked like in the end. It looks just like some unfortunate creature sat down on my counter and um ... well, used the bathroom. Pretty unappetizing.

So, I will be showing up to Thanksgiving dinner this year empty-handed. I feel like such a schlep. But it's 3 a.m., and I've got to get to some rest. Otherwise I may just fall asleep in my mashed potatoes tomorrow.

I wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving ... and I hope your efforts in the kitchen are much more successful than mine!