Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Healthy help

The other day I was walking through Green.life, a local grocery that specializes in organic foods and a lot of things I've always shied away from, when it hit me: I really should start paying attention to not only the quantity of what I eat, but also the quality.

So I was strolling up and down the aisles looking at all the interesting foods that I'd never heard of, and frankly I got a tad intimidated. I watched as customers filled their shopping carts with all-natural this and organic that. I stopped by the prepared foods case and sampled vegan pasta salad. I read the labels on soups, chips and a variety of other products. And then I bought a salad for lunch and walked out feeling a little like a health nut poser.

But I've decided that it's time to start learning more about the things I put into my system. I want to live a healthier life and if eating more all-natural foods is the way to go, then I'll do my best to figure things out.

So I'm wondering ... is there anything out there that you enjoy that's not loaded with artificial flavoring, chemicals and other ingredients that none of us can pronounce? Do you have a favorite good-for-you recipe? Or do you think I'm insane for walking into a grocery store and having the desire to change the way I've been eating?