Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Rockin' cruise

"Can you feel the ship moving?"
"Have you ever felt sea sick?"

Two questions I've been asked repeatedly after returning from a cruise. I have always answered with no way ... you can barely feel the ship moving - much less rocking. And as far as sea sickness goes, I once got a little queasy after a day of drinking with my dad in Cozumel, but that had nothing to do with the ship.

But now, all those answers have been voided. So yes, you can feel the ship moving, rocking AND vibrating. And, oh yes, I've been sea sick. I apparently wasn't the only one; there were barf bags placed along every banister on the ship for the duration of the cruise. I've never seen that before.

The ship was the Grandeur of the Seas, and no, I will never step foot on that ship again.

But that's not to say we didn't have a great time. I just took things a little slower than usual and pretty much shied away from adult beverages.

Here are some pictures from our trip.


Chad, Jamie and I just before sail away. All holding rum runners and margaritas ... before we knew of our impending doom!


Recognize these guys? When I looked at the entertainment list and saw the Nelson twins were performing, I nearly swallowed my tongue I gasped so loudly. Let me just say that in their heyday (late '80s, early '90s), I thought they were fabulous. Remember "I Can't Live without your Love and Affection"? How about "After the Rain"? Probably not, but I do, and so I had to have my picture taken with Matthew and Gunnar Nelson after their tribute show to their father, the late Ricky Nelson. It was awesome. And yes, I am a dork.


One of the coolest parts of our stop in Cozumel, Mexico, was our visit to the Corpus Christi Catholic church on Ash Wednesday. Jamie pretty much insisted that she had to go to church on Ash Wednesday, so we looked online, located the closest Catholic church and made our way through streets with no sidewalks, dodging inquisitive looks from locals while the hot, hot heat beat down on us. I'd never been inside a Catholic church, but I must say that I felt at home. The burning candles, fresh flowers and statues were welcoming. And the stained glass doors were so beautiful. I was so glad we went.


After tromping back to the touristy section of Cozumel, we met up with my dad, who had planted himself firmly at the bar in Carlos and Charlie's. While he and a few others in our group enjoyed some Mexican beer, Jamie and I sucked down a couple soft drinks and tried to cool off. I had a few people I wanted to bring something back for, so I rounded everyone up and we took off to do some shopping. About an hour later, after several complaints of not feeling well, Jamie tossed her cookies right in the middle of a shopping center - as vendors waved their hands, shouting, "TEQUILA!!!" I shouted back that she was completely sober. It's amazing what a good yakking can do because 5 minutes later, she was back to herself and all was well!


We celebrated several birthdays on this cruise, including Jamie's 32nd. Our head waiter, Lenon, brought out tiramasu and a group of waiters sang "Happy Birthday."


And finally, this picture pretty much sums up the rest of people on our cruise. Oh, so lively. Ha! (No, I don't know these folks!)