Friday, April 25, 2008

Unexpected guest

Bleary-eyed, I stumbled to my bathroom this morning half-awake, but fully aware that I had to go.

I turned on the light, flipped up the toilet lid, and gasped so hard that my throat still feels funny. All I could make out was a small gray/green lump on the seat, and before I knew just what it was, I was pretty grossed-out. What in the world was going on?!?

I rubbed my eyes and focused on the unexpected guest who somehow made it into my apartment. A little frog - about as big as the palm of my hand.

After a mad dash to my computer to google how in the world a FROG! could end up on my toilet, I learned this isn't highly unusual. The little guys can get washed into sewers, and viola! They end up in toilets all over the world.

While my curiosity was settled, my stomach was not. I'm not a frog lover. I don't hate 'em, but they're definitely not high on my list of things I want to handle. My mind raced ... how do I get this thing outside without touching it??

After a brief meltdown that involved calling Jim and telling him he had to get over to my apartment stat, I found a shoe box, had another little freak-out at the thought of the frog jumping on me, and finally bucked up. It was just a poor little frog who was probably far more traumatized than I was. So, I scooped him into the shoe box, ran him down my stairs and set him free outside. Then promptly cleaned my toilet like it's never been cleaned before.

I'm just hoping this is an isolated occurrence. I really don't want to be known as the froggy-toilet lady. Has this ever happened to you?