Saturday, January 03, 2009

And here I am

I rang in the new year at work.

Sitting at my desk, I fixed my eyes the on the masses crammed into Times Square as they counted down to 2009 on TV above me. On mute.

As the clock ticked down to zero and the silent cheers erupted, I felt a bit empty inside. I'd been invited to a couple of parties, and not invited to hang out with someone I wanted to be with. Again, I was all alone in a room full of people, bright lights and computer screens on a night where it seemed as though the whole world was celebrating without me. As I let that moment of self-pity flood over me, I felt like a bit of a loser.

Thank God that moment was fleeting.

I'm ready for all that 2009 has to offer. I intend to take advantage of every single chance I get to meet new people, advance my career, learn new things and travel.

I'm a bit excited about my renewed motivation ... it's been a while since I've had this energy. Maybe it's all the exercise I've been fitting into my life. Or maybe I'm just ready, finally, to be fully and completely happy. To take care of myself while still caring for others. To get out there and challenge myself more than I ever have.

So, this is where I am at the start of 2009. I think this is my year. And I hope it's yours, too!