Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wherein I realize I've never had much style

I get fashion mags in the mail. I really do, and I really read them. But not the fashion parts. Really. I enjoy the book reviews and real-life stories of love and war, bad dates and how to decorate your apartment on a budget.

Fashion? It's something I think about only when I encounter a situation such as:
A) Going on a first date (code red fashion alert)
B) Going on vacation (code yellow)
C) Night out with the girls (code orange, simply because boys may be involved at some point)

So, right now, at this very moment I'm at code orange for the first time in a while. I go out with girlfriends fairly regularly, but the typical "girls night out" usually consists of going shopping and then swinging by the Cheesecake Factory for some incredibly fattening food and a strawberry martini.

What can I say? I'm 32, this is fun for me.

But, alas, I do have younger friends. Some of them are 25 and still very much into the whole let's go out and parrrrrrtaaaaaaaay! And by "parrrrrrrtaaaaaaay" I mean in a very mature way. But there's partying going on nonetheless.

So. This leads me to my latest fashion emergency. One that I've not encountered since I was much younger. One that has me a tad freaked out. ....

What does one wear to go dancing?!

I haven't been to a dance club since college. And I don't even want to tell you how long ago that was. I have no idea where to shop for going-out-dancing attire. My primary wardrobe sources are the Gap and Banana Republic. Something tells me wearing a cardigan and trousers won't fly at a club.

I'm lost. Totally and completely lost. And, to be honest, I'm going to feel a little silly anyway, so what the heck. I guess I may as well take a leap and get all primped. But where to start?

I need help. Lots and lots of help.