Friday, May 27, 2005

I have a new car!


Well, not really - but it sure seems like a new one.

If you'll recall from this post a while back, I have had quite a few bizarre little issues with my Jetta. All but one of the problems were somewhat minor (side molding falling off, wacko alarm system, cruise control issues, etc.), but my main concern was a lack of air conditioning for the last two and a half years. Yep - it's no fun driving to work at 3:30 in the afternoon in 90-degree heat at the height of summer in the South.

Over the course of the last several months I've invested a lot of money in my little car - from new tires and a new timing belt, down to little things like having the body shop take off and re-apply those pesky side strips.

Only one thing remained ... and it was a doozy. The dreaded air conditioner, which I'd been told required a new compressor (i.e. a HUGE investment).

So I bit the bullet yesterday and headed to Rome to have my dad's friend Danny, who is a mechanic, take a look at the air conditioner. Dad and I brought along some freon, stop leak stuff, dye and a case of Natural Lite (as payment for Danny's time and mechanical know-how).

About 45 minutes later my car's air conditioner was blowing 36-degree air from its vents, and I was nearly crying with excitement. Danny is my new hero. Where else can you get your air conditioner repaired for less than $15? Granted, it didn't need a compressor (thank God), but it did need three cans of freon and a jump start.

Danny also tweaked the fuse to my cruise control, and now that's working, too.

Normally, my drive to work is spent sweating, secretly cursing idiotic drivers who go below the speed limit in the fast lane and being full-on miserable. But this afternoon, in the middle of a monstrous traffic jam I chalked up to Memorial Day weekend traffic, all I could do was smile.